Again, Those False Prophets
Read Jeremiah Chapter 23
Jer 23:16 This is what the LORD Almighty says: “Do not listen to what the prophets are prophesying to you; they fill you with false hopes. They speak visions from their own minds, not from the mouth of the LORD. 17 They keep saying to those who despise Me, ‘The LORD says: You will have peace.’ And to all who follow the stubbornness of their hearts they say, ‘No harm will come to you.’ 18 But which of them has stood in the council of the LORD to see or to hear His word? Who has listened and heard His word?
This is another of those subjects which we can never cover too often. We do not have to look very far to find someone or some church which has accepted homosexual practices as okay in God’s eyes. Those who espouse such theology are perfectly described in this passage.
1. The “prophets” are filling unsuspecting listeners with false hopes. Those who wish same-sex actions to be okay are eager to hear what they want to hear. Believers must not listen to them.
2. Their visions are from their own minds. They have gone to great lengths to explain away God’s clear message against homosexual behaviors.
3. Such “visions” are not from the mouth of the Lord.
4. Those who listen to them are most often “God haters.” They have heard what God says about the subject and therefore have developed a dislike for God. They eagerly devour the notion that the words from the bible are not true. Unfortunately, some who do not dislike the Lord are lapping up the false message as well.
5. Perhaps the most subtle danger of their message is that their followers “will have peace.” Most of us know from experience that there is no peace in the active gay world. And most assuredly, at the end of time peace will be forever out of reach to any who believe the false message.
6. Most who listen to the false message are simply stubborn-hearted. The desire for SSA to be okay has overridden the voice of the Holy Spirit.
Each day we must remind ourselves that God’s word is the final authority on any subject mentioned therein. That most assuredly includes the subject of homosexuality. Yesterday we learned that God’s word is the only word which can be fully trusted. Any idea which contradicts God’s word is from the mind of finite, mortal man. His wisdom, understanding, and knowledge has limits; God has no limits on His ability to know and convey truth to His children and to the world which does not believe in Him.
Jer 23:21 I did not send these prophets, yet they have run with their message; I did not speak to them, yet they have prophesied. 22 But if they had stood in My council, they would have proclaimed My words to My people and would have turned them from their evil ways and from their evil deeds.
Jer 23:36 But you must not mention ‘the oracle of the LORD’ again, because every man’s own word becomes his oracle and so you distort the words of the living God, the LORD Almighty, our God.
Prayer: Father, place a barrier in our minds and hearts which will not allow us to fall prey to the false teachers of our time. Remind us often that You are the only reliable source of truth. We know that, but we see so many falling away it scares us. We do not want to join their ranks. We are weak; therefore we need Your help to stay fully focused on You and Truth.