Happy New Year!!
Read Isaiah Chapter 25
Isa 25:6 On this mountain the LORD Almighty will prepare a feast of rich food for all peoples, a banquet of aged wine—the best of meats and the finest of wines. 7 On this mountain He will destroy the shroud that enfolds all peoples, the sheet that covers all nations; 8 He will swallow up death forever. The Sovereign LORD will wipe away the tears from all faces; He will remove the disgrace of His people from all the earth. The LORD has spoken. 9 In that day they will say, “Surely this is our God; we trusted in Him, and He saved us. This is the LORD, we trusted in Him; let us rejoice and be glad in His salvation.”
This is one of the most beautiful, encouraging scripture passages in the Old Testament. There is coming a day, maybe soon, when all of our SSA struggles, trials and testing, will be over. The awesome description of this coming day of victory cannot be fully appreciated, but let’s try anyway.
- This is not the only passage of scripture which alludes to a time of feasting when God’s children are finally gathered together in one huge throng. I don’t know if the feast is a literal, monstrous, all-you-can-eat buffet or not. I would guess that we will in fact eat and drink with our Savior at a massive banquet. Even if the feast is only figurative, the description gives us every reason to eagerly anticipate its time of arrival.
- The shroud that has covered all peoples is the shroud of death. At the end, death will become as though it had never existed. We will not give death another fleeting thought! It will be swallowed up and disappear forever.
- All our tears will be wiped away. All the tears we shed over our SSA struggle, our SSA failures, and the grief we felt over our SSA friends who rejected truth, will be wiped away. All of our tears will disappear. God will have quite a task wiping the tears of joy away, though. I can’t imagine not shedding tears of joy for oh, about 1,000 years.
- The disgrace which we now suffer, over the shame of our failures in the realm of SSA, will be permanently removed by the One who saved us. We may even forget our failures, I don’t know that. If we do remember them, they will bring no sadness or mental anguish. That will be an incredible blessing.
- Our thanksgiving will flow from our lips freely. Actually, our words of praise and thanksgiving will gush forth from our being like a volcanic eruption. We will be so grateful for our salvation, our immensely good fortune, that we will have no trouble with failure to be thankful.
- We will finally appreciate the sacrifice we made by trusting in Him. We will look back at the “sacrifice” and say, “Why did I ever desire to stay in my sins? Why did I question my decision to abandon them?”
Dear friends, do not lose heart. The promises of our Lord are more sure than any other thing we might be tempted to trust in. This day is coming. It is one day closer than it was yesterday. Keep the faith, continue running the race.
Prayer: We cannot imagine the unbelievable scene which is described here. Father, we thank You for this glorious promise.