How Do We Know?
Read John Chapter 8
Jn 8:24 I told you that you would die in your sins; if you do not believe that I am └ the one I claim to be┘ , you will indeed die in your sins.” 25 “Who are You?” they asked. “Just what I have been claiming all along,” Jesus replied. 26“I have much to say in judgment of you. But He who sent Me is reliable, and what I have heard from Him I tell the world.” 27 They did not understand that He was telling them about His Father. 28 So Jesus said, “When you have lifted up the Son of Man, then you will know that I am └ the One I claim to be┘ and that I do nothing on My own but speak just what the Father has taught Me. 29 The One who sent Me is with Me; He has not left Me alone, for I always do what pleases Him.” 30 Even as He spoke, many put their faith in Him. 31 To the Jews who had believed Him, Jesus said, “If you hold to My teaching, you are really My disciples. 32 Then you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free.”
This is serious business! Every man and woman must someday come to the conclusion that Jesus Christ is Lord. He is the Son of God. He is the only pathway to eternal life. Anyone who does not hear and heed this truth is doomed to spend eternity apart from God, in torment forever and ever. When a man truly believes in Christ, what else does he believe? Can he only believe in Christ, and ignore everything else Christ said? Can he believe in Christ and completely ignore God’s written word, our bibles? According to this passage, and many others, the man who believes in Jesus as Savior, who is truly a child of the King, will not only believe in Christ as Savior, he will also believe all that Jesus said and believed.
Verses 31 and 32 have something to say about that. Jesus said that anyone who holds on to “My teaching” is really His disciple. In other words, the man who claims to believe, but fails to “hold to His teaching,” is a false disciple. Jesus did not say, “All who never again sin are really My disciples.” The point Jesus made was that we will believe what He says, and we will hold on to His teachings to the end of our lives. The application to our SSA is this – no matter how badly we might wish to believe that same-sex sexual actions are NOT sinful, we do not go there. We remain firmly convinced that we cannot live a life of unhindered SSA actions. Even when we sin in that area of our lives, we know that we have grieved our Father.
Many will tell us that Jesus never condemned homosexual behaviors. What do we know that can keep us fully convinced that we cannot live gay lives? Here are a few thoughts.
- We don’t know that Jesus never condemned homosexual behaviors. There are many more things Jesus said which remain unrecorded than there are things which He said that ARE recorded.
- Jesus had every opportunity to correct any OT scriptures which had been written down incorrectly, or had been misinterpreted. He did not. In fact, on more than one occasion, He read from the Old Testament in the synagogues. He also said that He did not come to do away with the law, He came to fulfil it. Further, Jesus quoted OT scriptures many times, therefore confirming its validity.
- Most, if not all, of the teachings of Paul were taught by Jesus Himself. We can be certain that all of Paul’s teachings are Spirit-inspired. There has been little, if any, controversy in that regard among the Christian community. Check out this scripture passage:
Gal 1:11 I want you to know, brothers, that the gospel I preached is not something that man made up. 12 I did not receive it from any man, nor was I taught it; rather, I received it by revelation from Jesus Christ
Paul made it perfectly clear in Romans chapter 1 that homosexuality is not something of which God approves.
- When we have made our SSA mistakes, have we not borne the heavy burden of conviction from the Holy Spirit? Do our hearts not burn with shame and regret after we have sinned?
- The world is 100% comfortable with us as long as we agree with them. The moment we attempt to say anything negative about SSA, the world attacks us full force. If the world loves us, there is something wrong with the way we are living or speaking. That same world which accepts homosexuality also approves of unbridled drinking, abortion, living together without marriage, babies born out of wedlock, pre-marital sex, and many other unholy behaviors. We are to love those of the world, but we are not to approve of their lifestyles.
Ps 119:31 I hold fast to Your statutes, O LORD; do not let me be put to shame.
Prayer: Lord, keep us firmly planted in Your truth. Do not allow us to be deceived. As usual, we also pray for all who are currently under the deception of our enemy, the god of this world.