Where There Is Breath, There Is Life
Read Habakkuk Chapter 2
Hab 2:18 “Of what value is an idol, since a man has carved it? Or an image that teaches lies? For he who makes it trusts in his own creation; he makes idols that cannot speak. 19 Woe to him who says to wood, ‘Come to life!’ Or to lifeless stone, ‘Wake up!’ Can it give guidance? It is covered with gold and silver; there is no breath in it. 20 But the LORD is in His holy temple; let all the earth be silent before Him.”
I know, this passage refers to physical idols which men had carved out in order to form an image they could worship. But the transfer from the physical idol to the mental idol of homosexuality isn’t a difficult leap. Many in our world today have carved out an ‘idol’ which closely mirrors the one in this passage.
1. We can say it is a man-made image. Nowhere in God’s word do we find any value in worshiping same-sex activity. It is just the opposite; God warns against placing life’s hope in homosexuality. He clearly states that it will lead to death and destruction.
2. What good is an image which teaches lies? Certainly, the false hope that resides within the gay community teaches a huge lie. Any word contrary to God’s word is a falsehood.
3. Nothing which a man manufactures can be relied upon. When he trusts in it, he is relying on his own creation.
4. At the end of time, will our “creation” be able to speak for us? Can it stand before God and give a valid defense in our behalf? Of course not. Only Christ can stand before God with an argument which will free us from condemnation.
5. No amount of artificial respiration will bring homosexuality to life. As mankind attempts to breathe life into same-sex behaviors, its lifelessness will become more and more apparent. Only our Creator can give life.
6. The guidance this false idol has given to mankind will obviously lead to despair. We only have to look at what has come forth from it thus far: disease, heartache, despair, and a continual need for more, which cannot be sated.
What can we count on, beyond any possible doubt? Verse 20 has the answer. Our Lord and Savior is our solid rock. He is the One who will intervene for us at the end and usher us into eternal bliss. Our Lord gives us life and breath, and He bestows upon us what nothing or no one else can do. He is the eternal hope for all who believe and follow Him.
Unfortunately, most gay men today will not receive this message. They will react to truth as these men did:
Ac 19:24 A silversmith named Demetrius, who made silver shrines of Artemis, brought in no little business for the craftsmen. 25 He called them together, along with the workmen in related trades, and said: “Men, you know we receive a good income from this business. 26 And you see and hear how this fellow Paul has convinced and led astray large numbers of people here in Ephesus and in practically the whole province of Asia. He says that man-made gods are no gods at all. 27 There is danger not only that our trade will lose its good name, but also that the temple of the great goddess Artemis will be discredited, and the goddess herself, who is worshiped throughout the province of Asia and the world, will be robbed of her divine majesty.” 28 When they heard this, they were furious and began shouting: “Great is Artemis of the Ephesians!”
Fortunately, you and I are not among those who will reject the truth. May our Lord have mercy on all who are deceived!
Prayer: Oh Lord, how long I longed for my idol to breathe life, to speak truth instead of lies, to provide satisfaction and comfort to me. But You were merciful, and did not allow me to believe my idol. Thank You for revealing Your truth, which can be relied upon completely. Please, please, reveal truth to all our friends who are bowing down to this idol!